The Education Alliance bridges the private sector and community with P-16 education (Pre-Kindergarten through college graduation) in Washoe County. We accomplish this by establishing effective partnerships between business and community organizations and specific schools or programs. As a community, we firmly believe each of us has an invested interest and shared responsibility to ensure our students have the skills necessary to successfully compete in our ever-evolving economy. The impact from partnerships is significant, bringing necessary resources and expertise to the learning environment and helping create relevant pathways for our student population.
The core of Education Alliance’s mission is to enhance the college and career readiness culture for students of the Washoe County School District. Each and every conversation we have with our community partners and school principals centers around: “How will the proposed activity benefit students?” and, “Is this a mutually beneficial opportunity for all interested parties?”We cultivate relationships based on alignment of common objectives and provide a range of opportunities for involvement. Business is keenly interested in a talented workforce that has depth. Education is interested in providing an engaged and skilled graduate. Together, we have alignment of goals and the Education Alliance nourishes partnerships toward this purpose.
Education Alliance places great importance on providing targeted support of educational achievement initiatives. In order to support our mission and programs, our objectives include:
- Developing, securing, and maintaining resources including in-kind donations, grants, fundraising, sponsorships, and institutional support
- Providing fiscal accountability and continuity of Education Alliance operations.
Education Alliance promotes awareness of educational needs and develop leadership skills of stakeholders and our board members. We accomplish this by:
- Providing opportunities to expand awareness for educators, families, businesses, and civic leaders about Pre-Kindergarten through higher education in Washoe County.
- Providing the framework for businesses and community organizations to engage with schools.
- Providing data analysis and information to support student achievement.
- Developing Education Alliance Board Leadership as ambassadors for our programs and initiatives and the link between education and community.
The Education Alliance develops and communicates best practices and initiatives that support career and education goals. We achieve this by:
- Providing research to support educational achievement for Pre-K to 12th grade, higher education, and career pathways.
- Providing opportunities for collaboration between education and students, parents, families, businesses, and civic leaders.
- Developing strategies to advocate for educational achievement.
The Education Alliance has four signature initiatives: Partners in Education; the Run for Education; Principal for a Day; and the P-16 Advocacy Council. The P-16 Advocacy Council is comprised of education and business leaders, meets monthly, (more often as Task Groups), as systemic opportunities are identified to improve the quality of education in our community.
A primary example of improvements made from the actions of the P-16 Advocacy Council is the Diploma Program. Many states require two years of lab science and three years of math to earn a standard high school diploma. P-16 lobbied the Nevada State Department of Education to increase the requirements to three years of lab science and four years of math, which has been adopted in Washoe County. The P-16 Advocacy Council has earned the state-wide reputation as a trusted voice in education due to the Council’s diligent research and recommendations to improve the educational landscape. Members from the Education Alliance Board, officials from higher education, and members of the business community all contribute to this dynamic Council.